Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wikis

It was fun adding things to the 10 Things wiki.

My thoughts on "radical trust:" First of all, the phrase itself is a little pretentious to my mind. It's referring to the way people have lived in communities since always. So why the "radical"? To live with others -- and do we have a choice? -- is to trust that most of the time "participation will work." Not a new idea.

I do use Wikipedia and I like it, but it also makes me nervous. It's a quick way to get information but how to know the accuracy? I tend to trust it if the article is well written, but that's really no guarantee. When answering a reference question, I may use Wikipedia to get me started, but I would not use it as my only source. It sure is fun and easy though.

I would think patrons would enjoy editing a Library wiki, as we did -- adding info about movies they enjoy or places they have visited. In a more professional way, a departmental wiki could provide a forum for sharing, adding to and building on information needed by staff.

1 comment:

rich said...

Good point about trust within communities not being a new idea, but I would argue that it's still an idea worth talking about when the subject involves libraries and their patrons. I'm not sure what libraries will look like in the future, but I think this idea of trusting our patrons will have a huge impact. But yeah, maybe we don't need to use "radical" to describe this :)