Thursday, November 29, 2007

Podcasting

Tonight I listened to two podcasts and have subscribed to one other I did not have time to listen to, but I promise I will. With the help of Richard, Julie Marks, and her husband -- who happened to drop by the desk and knew how I could adjust the volume on my earphones -- I listened to President Bush musing about the White House laundry chute on The Onion and part of the Shoemaker and the Elves being read by a librarian at the Thomas Ford Memorial Library. The latter is the library in Western Springs, where I grew up.

As to applications for libraries, I think the idea of librarians reading stories to children is a nice one. There were also podcasts of children reading their own stories. I would imagine that this feature would be popular. For SPL, a possible marketing feature would be to have a staff person, with a very nice voice, talking about upcoming programs at the Library or one of us giving a preview of new books or talking about "books you might have missed."

No comments: